7 Spring Clean-up Tips for Your Home
Whether or not you are looking to sell your home, an annual cleaning is a great way to get rid of clutter and make your home a more inviting environment. Here are our 7 spring clean-up tips that will help make your home a more pleasant, organized, and welcoming place to live.
- Clean out your closet. We all have clothes in our closets that have been long forgotten or no longer fit. Take the time to go through your closets and evaluate the contents. If you haven’t worn a jacket in the last six months, it’s time to get rid of it. Set aside all the gently used items and donate them to a local charity or homeless shelter. Not only will this spring clean-up tip help you clean out your unused items, but it will also help somebody in need.
- Organize your home by the seasons. There’s no need to clutter your home with items you won’t need again for months. Head down to your local home improvement store and pick up a few large storage bins. Go through your seasonal items that are only used a few months out of the year, then organize these items into the storage bins. Clearly label the bins by season and move these goods to a crawl space or storage room. This spring clean-up tip is effective during each seasonal change and will help keep your home clutter-free.
- Get rid of stains and odors. Your home should be pleasing to all five senses, so don’t overlook your sense of smell. Locate the source of foul smells in your home and clear them out. Odors can stem from stains, garbage cans, fabrics, carpets – you name it. Clear out the odors and fill your home with a pleasant aroma that immediately feels more welcoming. Especially when you are trying to sell your home, stains and odors can be a distraction that may completely turn away potential buyers.
- Clean your walls. Many people are unaware that you can and should clean your walls. Over time, walls get marked up with handprints, dirt, and grime. Keep your walls looking as good as new by gently washing with soap and water during your spring clean-up routine.
- Don’t forget ceiling fans and light fixtures. Dust is found everywhere in the home. Much of it can easily be taken care of by dusting on a regular basis. However, there are overlooked places that can harbor loads of dust and dirt. The most commonly forgotten places are ceiling fans and light fixtures. By cleaning these regularly, you may also help keep spring allergies in check.
- Use your spring clean-up to change the mood of the home. Changing the mood of the home can be as easy as rearranging your furniture or swapping seasonal home accessories. A few simple changes can bring life back to your home. If you are planning to sell your home this spring, create a neutral mood that will increase the home’s appeal to a wide variety of potential buyers.
- Organize your shelves. Shelves are great for displaying books, mementos, and family photos. If your bookshelf or mantle is overrun with junk mail and too many knick-knacks, it’s time to clear the excess. Extra clutter can make a space feel uninviting and overwhelming. Spring cleaning is a good excuse to refresh and simplify your home.
A thorough spring clean-up can make your home feel more spacious and inviting. Whether you plan to sell your home this spring or live there for years to come, a major clean-up and reorganization of household belongings can improve your home and the quality of your life. When you do plan on selling your home, get in touch with the home inspection experts at Inspect-It 1st for all of your quality home inspection needs.