7 Open House Tips to Increase Appeal
Utilizing open house tips can be a game changer when trying to sell your house. If you are trying to sell your house without the help of a realtor, it’s important to keep a few things in mind when marketing your home for sale. With the housing market bouncing back, it’s likely that you’re going to notice more homes in your area popping up for sale. We’ve put together 7 basic open house tips to help your listing stand out from the crowd and gain attention from potential buyers.
Open House Tips:
- Declutter the home. Before you even consider hosting an open house, it’s important to declutter the home. This tip could be the most important of the 7 open house tips on this list. A cluttered house, no matter how clean, will always appear messy and potentially turn away potential buyers. Get rid of items you no longer need in your home to help rooms feel larger and more open.
- Depersonalize the environment. When buyers walk through a home, they want to envision their lives in the environment. Removing personal photos and artifacts can increase the appeal in a big way.
- Use technology. Studies show that the average American spends 11 hours per day using electronic devices. Using social media outlets can have a huge impact on your open house. Set up an event on Facebook and post classified ads on local digital news sites. Post high-quality photos and encourage your network of friends to share your open house info across their networks.
- Promote with signage. Seems simple, right? Post details regarding your open house on the signs and place them within a mile of the property. Take advantage of high-traffic intersections and local landmarks. You’d be surprised how much exposure you can get from eye-catching signs. This is one of the most basic, but incredibly important open house tips in the book.
- Talk with your neighbors. Ask a few of your neighbors to take a walk through your home. Point out the selling features and get them excited about the house. They likely won’t want to move next door, but they will often share the information with their friends and family.
- Create a neutral atmosphere. Did you paint your daughter’s room bright pink, or put dinosaur wallpaper up for your son? While it may be fitting for some families, the majority of home buyers may not enjoy some of the vibrant choices you made. You can dramatically increase the appeal for a wide range of buyers by choosing a neutral color palate for the home. Keep rooms gender neutral, especially common areas and the master bedroom.
- Brighten the space. It’s showtime, and people will be arriving at your front door any minute. Perhaps the easiest trick of these open house tips is to simply brighten the interior of the house. Turn on all lights in the home and open the shades. Light helps create a warm and inviting atmosphere while also making a room appear open and large.
In addition to these 7 open house tips, it’s never a bad idea to have your home thoroughly inspected for issues. Fixing small issues that may draw red flags during an open house can be the difference between someone walking away or staying and making an offer. Take the initiative ahead of time to show buyers that you are serious about the sale. Get in touch with a local Inspect-It 1st home inspector for an unbiased, honest property inspection today!