Home Security Systems
Home security systems used to be seen as a luxury for upper middle class families. In the past 15 years or so however, these systems have become more popular with families across the nation. Here’s a few of the reasons why investing in a home security system can be beneficial to your home and your family.
- Peace of Mind: Home security systems can be activated while you’re home, on vacation or just at work for the day. You can rest assured knowing your property and loved ones will remain protected from intruders with constant monitoring.
- Deterrence: Studies have found that homes which display security signs on their property are less likely to be broken into. It is thought that would be burglars see the sign and know there is a higher degree of danger if they break in. Homes without a monitored home security system are up to 300% more likely to be broken into according to some studies.
- Reduced Insurance Rates: Due to the deterrence of break-ins, many insurance providers will lower homeowner insurance rates for families with home security systems.
- Faster Emergency Response Times: Monitored home security systems will contact authorities when an alarm is triggered, meaning help in on the way in minutes. Whether it’s a break-in, fire or other home emergency, the faster help arrives the better. This is a contributing factor to consider when determining if you want to install a monitored or unmonitored system.
- Customizable Features: Home security systems generally alert owners about break-ins through doors and windows but newer, more advanced systems can also be configured to detect fire, carbon monoxide, rising water and even freezing temps and alert homeowners of such problems.
- Remote Access: More and more home security systems have a remote access option. This means you can arm your home, check in on any security cameras you may have, and even adjust the thermostat from your office, vacation or from anywhere you have wi-fi. You have complete control.
Not only can a home security system protect your belongings but your family as well. The market for such systems continues to grow and expand, offering new services and greater security as well. Consider all the available systems, the cost of installation and the effectiveness of each option before finalizing your plans for a new home security system.
Inspect-It 1st Home Improvement Radio offers tips to prevent home burglary, listen to it here. You can find more home improvement tips, buyer and seller resources, a home maintenance checklist and many other helpful links on our home page.