Tips for Handling Skylight Repairs
Skylights are often a great selling point in homes. They offer natural light as well as provide a unique and scenic view for homeowners to enjoy. While this feature is extremely popular, it can also entail some risks. Most often, skylights can leak water or other debris in your home. If you’re experiencing any damages or issues with your skylight, read these tips below to find out how to properly address skylight repairs.
Skylight Repairs: Common Issues
Skylight repairs are more complicated and dangerous than they appear. If your skylight is showing signs of damage, refrain from climbing on the roof to get a closer look at the issue. It’s important to remember that only a professional should examine a damaged skylight. The skylight’s compromised safety and structure are extremely hazardous. Instead, use these tips to safely identify the issue, and pass them along to a professional. If your skylight is leaking it is often caused by:
- Problems with the installation of the flashing
- Flashing refers to the protection of the skylight from outside elements. If it’s damaged or has loosened over time, it can allow water to seep into your home. Flashing kits are readily available through most home improvement stores.
- Improper roof draining system
- If your roof is draining towards the skylight, over time, this can cause leaking issues.
- This is most common in the colder months of the year. Some condensation is natural, but if it’s excessive, it can signify an issue with the condensation channels on the skylight.
- Skylight gears
- If your skylight can open and close, it’s possible there’s an issue with the gears responsible for this function. They may have become loosened, rusted, or damaged in some other way, which could allow water to leak through the skylight.
- General installation issues
- A number of things can go wrong when installing a skylight. It’s best to rely on a professional technician to identify any damages.
Though sometimes the problem can be spotted with ease, it’s best to leave any skylight repairs to professionals. Even if an issue seems minor, leaking skylights can disguise larger issues with the structure and stability of the window. The best thing to do in these situations is to gather as much information as you can from a safe viewpoint and provide the information to a professional.
For professional inspections and assistance with skylight repairs, contact the experts at Inspect-It 1st! Our technicians will identify any issues with your skylight in a safe and professional manner. With Inspect-It 1st, you can trust your business or family’s home is in good hands! Find a local IIF office near you here.