An Overview of Social Media
Having a website for your business used to be the pinnacle of promotion – but simply having a website isn’t enough anymore! Now there is an entirely new area where a business must succeed. Social media is the most flexible and far-reaching marketing approach, and it’s crucial that you leverage it!
However, getting started can be a bit intimidating if you’ve never dabbled in social networking or media before. Peruse our guide and you’ll have the groundwork for a solid beginning in social media.
Social Media Giants
- Facebook Fan Pages. These pages offer you the chance to interact with your fans and clients on one of the world’s most popular social networks. Fan pages allow you to upload photos, share notes, and even create polls. While fan pages used to be quite restricted, they can now behave like regular profiles, with the ability to comment on news, pages of advertisers, or pop culture pages. This opens up a whole new level of visibility for your business!
- Twitter. The most fast-paced of the social media giants! One of the advantages of Twitter is its huge following. There are Twitter users from every field – and conversations about every topic imaginable, some of which take place on a weekly basis. Even a small-time brand can garner attention from major Twitter users and reach thousands of people with one Tweet!
- Linked In. A social network for those who want substance, this platform is meant for businesses and professionals. With millions of users, Linked In offers unparalleled networking opportunities. You can join groups tailored to your industry, promote your blog and events, and join ongoing conversations about your field and anything else of interest.
- Google Plus. While Google Plus doesn’t have a huge following yet, it does have a few great features that set it apart. For starters, you can decide how much information your followers receive. Each time you get a new follower, you can place him or her in a circle, like “coworkers”, “friends”, “family”, and more. It also ties in to Google’s other tools and apps very nicely!
Etiquette For Social Media
- Engage your followers, whether you are an all-business social media user or a bit more playful. Whatever your style, you have to get involved with those who have shown an interest in your brand. A simple “Looking forward to sharing industry news with you” can make new followers feel welcome.
- Share the love. Social media works because it’s built on sharing, on word-of-mouth. If you see a post that is especially informative, thought-provoking, or just fun, hit the share button or retweet! Always thank people for promoting your posts – and reciprocate when possible.
- Be active. To reap the rewards of social media, you have to participate regularly! Try a variety of different post styles and topics, take part in polls and chats, and answer questions posed by the community.